LTCES is Hiring!
Contract Healthy Foods Coordinator – 11 Weeks
Lake Trail Community Education Society (LTCES) is a dynamic not for profit organization which works in close relationship with Lake Trail Community Middle School to foster a community school model. We have a strong focus on food security and food education. Over the past several years LTCES provided a weekly salad bar program free of charge to Lake Trail students, as well as healthy snacks during outreach programming. In light of Ciovid-19 the following adjustments will be made to our food program:
· We are transitioning our free salad bar program to a free healthy bagged lunch which can be prepared and distributed to students once a week.
· LTCES will continue to provide healthy snacks during our outreach programming for youth.
· LTCES is offering a food kit program as a substitute for our after-school cooking classes. Meal kits will be offered to youth, along with a video on how to prepare the healthy meal at home.
Lake Trail Community Education Society (LTCES) is seeking a Healthy Foods Coordinator to fulfill the three objectives above, until the end of November 2020. 116 hours are dedicated to this position, flexed over 11 weeks. The Healthy Foods Coordinator reports to the Community School Coordinator.
*** Some of this programming is tied to grant funding. The programs will be reassessed for continuation in the new year.
· Interest in local food security initiatives and supporting nutrition for youth.
· Current Food Safe I certification.
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a fast-paced institutional food services environment.
· Principles and methods of planning and preparing meals in large quantities.
· Proficient in Excel and basic math.
· Knowledge of sanitation and safety procedure related to food settings.
· Must have a valid BC Driver’s License and vehicle.
· Valid CPR and First Aid Certifications preferable.
· Ability to create and post two videos to our YouTube channel demonstrating meal preparation for the outreach kit program. (If video creation is a barrier, the Community School Coordinator can likely assist.)
Commitment and Compensation
** $20 p/hour plus MERC’s for the following hours:
Bagged Lunch Program – 77 Hours: 7 hours p/week for 11 weeks, starting the week of September 21st. Bagged lunches will be delivered to the school on Wednesdays. Shopping and preparation will take place on Tuesdays.
Food Outreach Kits – 29 Hours: 120 kits will be assembled and distributed throughout the months of October and November. Likely two kit assemblies of 60 kits each, and two videos.
Healthy Snacks for Programs – 10 Hours: Our outdoor education program runs for 5 weeks. 2 hours p/ week is dedicated to snack assembly, over 5 weeks. Shopping can take place at same time as for bagged lunch program.
All food preparations will take place on Tuesdays, with shopping and distribution throughout week.
Internal Job Duties / Skills:
● Shopping, ordering, receiving and storing food and supplies required for 150 bagged lunches p/week, healthy food kit program, and outreach program snacks.
● Ability to estimate quantities and work within budgets.
● Collaborate with schools, communities and regional/local organizations to improve proximity and local capacity in food security, nutrition, student engagement as able within the hours available.
● Following established safety procedures to ensure food safety.
● Monitoring food quality, quantity, temperature and food safety.
● Lifting and carrying food containers, reaching, bending and twisting to pack meals for distribution, load the dishwasher, etc.
● Working with PPE requirements.
● Supervising one volunteer p/week.
● Maintaining basic records using established forms.
● Maintaining positive relationships with students, parents and staff.
● Teamwork skills.
External Job Duties:
· Maintains a positive image to the public about LTCES.
Food preparations will take place either in the Lake Trail Community Middle School concession, or a VIHA approved offsite kitchen. We expect the Healthy Foods Coordinator to follow the safety protocols outlined in the 2020-2021 Stage 2 Food Services document and actively promote and support the health and safety of students, staff, and volunteers.
How to Apply:
Email LTCMSCoordinator@sd71.bc.ca with a paragraph or two outlining your interest in the position, a current resume, and three reference contacts by Friday the 11th at 10am.
Interviews will take place on the 14th, 15th, or 16th of September.
The position starts the week of September 21st.
Thank you for your interest! Should you have any questions, feel free to email: LTCMSCoordinator@sd71.bc.ca
LTCES welcomes input, involvement, and support from the community.
Join us as a member, volunteer, sponsor, donor, or facilitator.
We value the input and ideas of our community. Pick up a membership form at the LTCES office.
Join our Volunteer Work Parties in the Lake Trail Community School Garden. Beginners to skilled gardeners welcome.
Salad Bar Sponsorship
Discover how you can support this healthy foods program.
Salad Bar Volunteers
The salad bar team prepares and serves a weekly, nutritious meal, free of charge to Lake Trail students.
Stop by the LTCES office to donate in person. Online option coming soon.
Until then, contact Lake Trail's Community School Coordinator:
LTCES acknowledges the following financial supporters:
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development – BC Gaming
Vancouver Island Health Authority – Island Health Wellness Grant
School District #71
Employment and Social Development Canada – Canada Summer Jobs
Farm to Cafeteria Canada
United Way Central and Northern Vancouver Island